The name Duhat was derived from the plant Duhat that once thrived abundantly about the place. Formerly its territorial jurisdiction included three partitions. The eastern side is occupied by Duhat, west by barrio Labuin and the southern part by the Barrio Linga, all barrios of Pila. However, in the year 1951 the natives of that part now called Bagong pook petitioned the municipal government of Pila to make their place a separate barrio. This change of status was later on granted.
In August, 1859, an early settlement, which was called Duhatan was made by several Ilocano families. Duhatan means a place where many bamboo and duhat trees grew widely in abundance. As the population grow bigger, these settlers began to plant coconuts, sugar cane, bananas and vegetables for their livelihood. Later, some parts of Duhatan were cleared for the establishments of anew barangay the so called Duhat which is the present and famous official name. it is presently called the barangay of Duhat.
Sometimes in 1850, an Ilokano traveler passed by Duhat which was the uninhibited. He felt ill and sought shelter and subsisted on Duhat fruit. After a few days he continued on his journey. A year later he settled in the same place with his family and in about ten years some more families had come to settle here. These families organized themselves under the head of the barangay. They named his place Duhatan. These families were believed to be the forefarthers of the present Estradas, Bernardinos, Sofers, Sta. Maria etc. according to the traditions their first leader was David Lazaro.
In about 1954 Paulino Alvarez, an able leader in Duhat tried to change its name to San Miguel in Honor of its patron Saint. Owing to the popularity of name, the attempt failed.
|#||Barangay Population||Barangay Household||Barangay Population Density||Barangay Area(Has)|
© 2020 Santa Cruz Laguna All Rights Reserve